Sunday 14 September 2008

Stirling 10K

My plan for this race was to run 3:30 per kilometre and try to sneak inside 35 minutes, or at least not fall outside 36. I also knew that a top 20 finish would earn me more points in the Grand Prix series, although this was likely to depend on the quality of the field, and there was a large turnout. I went through the 1K marker in 3:15 but was well down the field, which had quickly started to fragment on account of the fast pace. On a couple of occasions I passed a few runners who had started to struggle and found that they had fallen off the back of a pack, which I would managed to latch onto. I stuck to my goal pace fairly well for the next couple of kilometres but started to lose a couple of seconds here and there.

By the halfway mark I was still slightly ahead of schedule, and the next part of the route took us down a country lane with a hairpin turn, which gave me a chance to work out what position I was in. I stopped counting at 20 with well over a dozen runners visible further down the path. I was still making up the odd place here and there and went through 7K in exactly 24:30. At this point it looked like sub-35 was unlikely although I expected to beat 36 minutes without too much trouble. By 8K, I had lost a few more seconds but was gaining very gradually on the runner in front. In the final kilometre, a fast finisher went past both of us, but as the finish drew closer I was unable to pick up the pace at all and couldn't close the gap. My finishing time was 35:09 which represents another few seconds knocked off my best time for the year, and an average mile pace of 5:39. This gave me 34th place overall and I was first Garscube finisher. The marathons I ran at the end of August probably contributed to my lack of speed at the end, although at the same time they may have helped me maintain a reasonable pace for longer. I don't think my low mileage during the previous week had any real negative effect.

After the race I went back to the car to get changed and collect some things for Natasha, who in her first 10K was somewhat faster than I expected in 52:50, so by the time I had dealt with some blisters (Mayflys possibly not laced up tightly enough) and gone back to watch people arriving, she had already finished.

3 comments:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Pretty good to be doing 10k's at all after 2 marathons! I will probably not move for a month after Berlin!Well d one to Natasha too. When is she going to start blogging?

Ben Melby said...

Yes, nice run - personal best for the year right? You'll go under 35 for sure when the marathon trauma dissipates further. Hope you're avoiding injury and see you at club soon (though my presence there is going to be hit or miss for a while as I fine tune for Loch Ness).

Stephen Mulrine said...

Natasha says she doesn't have time to start a blog and doesn't think it would be very interesting. (Not that that stopped me.)

I think that was my fastest 10K since 2003. After the last month or so I have a few aches and pains but I should be able to run through them...