Thursday 18 June 2009

Henderson Cup

The Garscube Summer League this year included a 7-mile cross-country race, so I decided to give it a go, even though the handicap times would be taken into account in the awarding of league points. Of the participants, I should have been starting off scratch, but due to weather conditions and a late start, we all set off together. I took it on from the start and by the end of the shorter loop around Dumbrock Muir, I had a comfortable lead, although I soon wondered if I had set out too fast as I began to struggle a bit on the first lap of the longer trail loop. After another mile or so, with nobody visible behind me, I felt a bit better. When I finished in 43:12 it was apparent that the true distance was short of 7 miles - 6.76 according to somebody's GPS. I didn't stick around to find out my position once the time handicaps had been applied, although I will inevitably lose a good few places, especially with the distance being short. Had some problems with my left hamstring after the race.

No comments: