Thursday 4 June 2009

Polaroid Dumbarton 10K

On Tuesday I had found a sore spot on my right calf, so I had been trying to massage it out, and by Thursday evening it wasn't too bad. Overall I felt slightly better than I had before the Clydebank 10K. I aimed for the usual 3:30/K, and some early hamstring tightness faded away quite quickly. For once I was 5 seconds down at the 1K marker, partly due to a more congested field. This put me third for Garscube, and although I moved up to second when Toby dropped out after about a mile, Danny was already quite far ahead by this point. I had won back a couple of seconds by the 2K mark, and at the halfway stage my time was about 17:35, although even maintaining this more sensible pace was starting to become quite difficult, and I didn't spot another kilometre marker until the end of the race, which didn't help either. After about 7K I started to pick it up a bit and moved up a few places. I recognised the course from where the race had started, which made me think we were closer to the finish than we really were, so I should probably have tried to hold something in reserve. As it was, I started to flag slightly over the final kilometre, but after the final corner I got involved in a three-way sprint for the line, which I wouldn't have attempted the previous week. This time I had a chip time of 35:24, which was OK. We also took the third team prize.

No comments: