Sunday 10 August 2008

9K slow, 800m, 6 miles recovery

Went out in the morning for my usual 9K route with Natasha. I wouldn't normally run so far a few hours before a race but Saturday had been a day off. In the afternoon I had an 800m at Linwood in the last league match of the season. I got there in plenty of time and felt OK after a short warm-up. I got slightly boxed in after about 100m but managed to escape and set off in pursuit of a small pack which had broken away. I went through 400m in 65 seconds which was 1 second down on my previous attempt at the same venue, but I was still feeling fine and it looked like my run earlier had made no difference at all. On a very windy afternoon it was eerily calm in the back straight, and I regained my lost second to go through 600m in 1:39, but lost it again running into the headwind in the final stage of the race. I was still closing fast on the runner in 3rd place but couldn't quite pick up enough speed to catch him. Time was 2:14.8 and I was 2nd of the Division 3 participants.

After getting back home I went out to rack up some more miles, this time an old 6-mile route up Firhill Road, through Ruchill Park, along Bilsland Drive, then Balmore Road, Skirsa Street, a footpath down to Summerston Station and back down Maryhill Road. This became quite a struggle, even at an easy pace, and it took me slightly over 45 minutes.

No comments: