Sunday 17 August 2008

Achilles Heel Bella 5K, 4 miles recovery

The Bellahouston 5K took place in good conditions, slightly damp and not windy at all. I tried to maintain a 3:15/K pace from the start and judged it exactly right for the first couple. Some time between 2 and 3K I went into the nosebleed territory of 4th place, and I was still maintaining the same pace at 3K, but I soon started to fade a bit and was passed twice in the last kilometre, finishing 6th in 16:42. This was 7 seconds down on the JogScotland 5K, which may have been slightly on the short side in any case. I was first finisher for a somewhat underrepresented Garscube and claimed two valuable Summer League points.

After getting back home I went out for 4 steady miles around the West End (via Shakespeare Street, Cleveden Drive, Cleveden Road and Napiershall Street) just to stretch the legs a bit, completing the route in a steady 27:34.

2 comments:

Ben Melby said...

A 16:35 at JogScotland is only 7 seconds faster than this 16:42 Stephen. Though may be that 16:35 was a few seconds faster with chip time? Of course, this knit-picking is coming from someone who is occasionally 'loose' with numbers.

Either way, I can tell you're fitness has improved from a month ago, so the slower time is deceiving.

Stephen Mulrine said...

Sure enough, I must have been getting my last 5K time mixed up with my Vale of Leven 10K time, so it is only 7 seconds slower after all. Thanks for pointing it out - I'll edit the blog entry just now.