Saturday 7 February 2009

4.9 miles slow, 10K steady

Went out in the morning with Natasha for 4.92 miles along Great Western Road, down Hyndland Road and Hyndland Street, along Sauchiehall Street and home via Charing Cross and Maryhill Road. In the late afternoon I set out from Drymen to run a loop partly on the West Highland Way, once I had managed to find it. The path was covered in snow but it was OK to run on. It started to get quite dark and without the snow I wouldn't have been able to see where I was going. As it was, I wasn't familiar with the path, didn't have a map, and had to stop at every junction to check the signpost. I meant to follow a road down to Milton of Buchanan and run back along to Drymen from there, and I found quite a wide road which seemed to be leading down the hill, but it soon turned in a different direction and started to get narrower, although I could tell from the position of the moon that I was at least heading back towards Drymen, as long as I didn't come to a dead end. I eventually came out of the forest onto Old Gartmore Road which took me back to the centre of Drymen, and was almost entirely downhill, allowing me to make a drastic improvement to my average pace for the run. Total distance was 6.22 miles in 44:37, 7:10/mile.

No comments: