Saturday 24 November 2007

Short recovery and hills

Back training again as planned, starting with the usual slow 5K with Natasha before lunch. Freezing rain came on almost immediately but went off just as we reached Maryhill Shopping Centre.

I still felt OK after lunch so went out to find a hill suitable for a particular session I had in mind - many repeats of a short, fairly steep hill where it takes a few of them for it to start to bite. No need to try to sprint, the steepness of the hill does the work. There are hills nearby of various types: the one in Oakbank industrial estate is too short for hill work; Possil Road isn't steep enough; Firhill Road up to Ruchill Park is long and tough but there's a lot of traffic; I would feel too conspicuous on Bilsland Drive (this also goes for Possil Road); and Cleveden Road is too steep for this particular session and also a bit far to jog back if I feel an injury coming on. My favourite hill is Crarae Avenue in Westerton but I would need to drive there, same goes for Chesters Road in Colquhoun Park which I've only run up a few times as part of a longer run but definitely has potential.

In the end I took a tip from "Debs on running" and headed for Kelvingrove Park. The nearby roads were all deemed unsuitable for various reasons but I found plenty of hilly paths in the park and chose a stretch of about 100m or so with a continuous, steady climb, which only became tough on the fourth rep or so. Ran 10 of them and thought of going on a jog for a few minutes before resuming, but the rain was coming back on and I didn't want to overdo it in any case. Might be back in shape in time for the Hugh Wilson 10K next Sunday. Don't actually remember the last 10K I did.

No comments: