Sunday 4 November 2007

Track session and long(ish) run

I would normally go out for a few leisurely miles with Natasha on a Sunday morning but she had a sore knee and said she would rather go swimming. I don't like swimming because it tires me out too much, so we struck a compromise which involved going to Scotstoun where she could swim while I ran on the track. It was cold and, unusually for Scotstoun, there was no wind to speak of. Some VPCoG kidz were out training but mostly in the home straight. Planned to run 300s, 2x5 in 49-50s each with a 2-minute turnaround - about five years ago I could do 2x5 in 44-45s (I think) although with a longer recovery. Anyway, ran 47-48-48 and during the second one it was getting tough so I opted for 3x3 instead. Had a rest for about 10 minutes after the first set but on standing back up I felt too nauseous to continue and just jogged round the track until I got bored. I guess it was too hard a training session for the morning after a race.

In the afternoon I went out on a 7.75-mile route and planned to take it slowly enough that I would just scrape in inside the hour. As it turned out, I felt like I couldn't have moved any faster anyway. Bumped into a pal after a mile and stopped to chat for about 3 minutes, and realised a few miles later that I would be outside the hour if I didn't pick it up, which I couldn't. Calf tightened up a bit towards the end but not dangerously. Next race is the Glasgow University 5-miler on the 17th so I will try to push it a bit until the middle of next week.

No comments: