Saturday 5 April 2008

National Road Relay Championships

This is probably my favourite relay of the season, although the course in Livingston isn't conducive to fast times. I was on the second 3.15-mile leg for our A team, the third leg overall, and my tapering seemed to have done its job as I felt absolutely 100% before the start, although I didn't want to say so in case I ran poorly. We were 27th when I took over, and shortly after the first sharp bend I was overtaken by a runner from Central's B team. He made up some ground on a couple more runners but didn't get very far ahead of me, and I took advantage of a spiral footbridge to go past them all after about a mile. The footsteps behind me started to recede and over the next mile or so I picked up another two places, and closed to within 20m of a runner from Metro Aberdeen, which is where I stayed until I went past him on the final uphill straight. Finished in 17:33 and handed over in 22nd. The runners on our next three legs brought us up to 9th place which is our best finish in all the years I've been taking part.

I knocked 35 seconds off my time from last year, and I think 17:33 is my second fastest after 17:17 in 2005, although I can't find any results from 2004. (Update: it looks like I ran 17:30 in 2004.)

No comments: