Wednesday 19 November 2008

5.2 miles moderate

I went out for my usual 5.15-mile route via Dorchester Avenue to test Run.GPS which I had installed on my new HTC Touch Diamond. I didn't have to wait more than a couple of seconds for the phone's internal GPS to pick up enough satellites to be able to get going, although just over a minute into the run, a voice did report that the signal was weak as I was passing some tenements on Garscube Road. Every three minutes I got a comprehensive progress report which included time, distance, average speed, altitude and calories used. I had no trouble with the tree cover along Great Western Road, which had frequently confused my old Garmin Forerunner, and what gmap-pedometer had measured at 5.15 miles came out at 5.2. The distance as measured with GPS takes hills into account and I had noticed on the supposed mile mark that according to Run.GPS, I had already run just over a mile. Finishing time was 33:42 which is 6:28/mile.

No comments: