Thursday 13 November 2008

8.1 miles steady/tempo

For the club training session, billed as a steady run, there was a choice of a 6-mile route or an 8-mile route, and the top two packs had been combined. The pace down Crow Road and along Great Western Road seemed to be slower than 7:30 per mile, and there were a few problems dodging pedestrians on Byres Road. At Highburgh Road the pack split into those who wanted to try the longer route and those who didn't. My calf and hamstring still felt OK so I continued down Byres Road on the 8-mile route with a few others. I couldn't resist running a single hill rep up Gardner Street which gave me a few extra seconds at the top to recover and stretch my calf a bit.

The pace increased steadily down Clarence Drive and up Crow Road, although the pack had mostly stayed together. By Dorchester Avenue it was starting to get quite tough, but when we got onto Cowal Road I stretched out down the hill and suddenly found myself about 50m ahead. Not wanting to risk injury with a fast finish, I eased off a bit on Maryhill Road the top of the hill until I had been caught, and we got back to Garscube Estate in 58:13 which is a 7:11/mile average, so the second half of the run must have been substantially faster than the first.

No comments: