Saturday 8 November 2008

Glasgow University 5 Mile Road Race, 7 miles steady

I felt like I had a bit of a cold coming on but was otherwise fine to run, although almost immediately after the start I had very heavy legs. I soon had an enforced walking break as the wider of the two gates at the top of Garscube Estate apparently couldn't be opened, so only the leaders at that point managed to avoid the congestion. I had been aiming for 5:30 per mile and went through the first mile marker at about 5:32, which was probably ahead of schedule due to the problem with the gate, but it turned out that there were no other mile markers on the course, and in any case there were enough sharp hills that maintaining a consistent pace would have been difficult. I was second for Garscube for the entire race without ever looking like catching our leading runner. On the second lap I started to make up a few places, and by the end had climbed to 21st place, although I didn't feel like I was having a particularly good race. Finishing time was 28:17 which was 33 seconds up on last year - goal for next year is to beat 28 minutes.

Afterwards I had a fairly serious blister from my half-a-size-too-small Mayflys, but I found a blister plaster at home. It occurred to me that I didn't feel as if I'd done anything at all and I might as well rack up a few more miles, so I went back out straight away for my usual 7-mile route via Garscube Estate, although at a steady pace this time. At the dual carriageway on Maryhill Road I bumped into John Bell of Springburn Harriers who ran with me as far as Queen Margaret Drive. Got back home in 52:44.

3 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Oh dear. I fear a slippery slope back into long-distance running...

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Thanks Stephen. I can only spell it as it sounds:-) Of course having first come across the phrase in Dundee I think I'm doin' well to get any where close:-)
I will change it accordingly.

Think you could come 'n' fix ma boiler?

Stephen Mulrine said...

Sorry, Rachel, your boiler problem sounds a bit more serious than anything I might be able to deal with! And Debs, you may well be correct...