Thursday 20 November 2008

6.7 miles hard

I was still stuck at roadworks on Maryhill Road as I saw some of my clubmates running past, so I was pretty sure I would be late for the club training session, and I did indeed see the fast pack heading out just before I got to Garscube Estate. After parking, getting changed and starting Run.GPS I was around 2 minutes behind them, but as I knew they would be running down Maryhill Road for at least two miles, I set off in pursuit. I finally saw some distant figures near Tesco and caught up with coach Lesley near Queen Margaret Drive, so I got a quick summary of the rest of the course. As I passed the fire station I could see the fast pack further down Maryhill Road, and I caught up with them after they had turned onto Great Western Road at St George's Cross. My time at that point was about 19:30 and the distance had been measured at 3.34 miles, so I had been running at nearly 5:50 per mile, helped by the broadly downhill route to that point.

For the next few minutes I was able to ease off a bit, although it didn't last long, as the pace increased noticeably after the Botanic Gardens and the fast pack quickly fell apart. With no race at the weekend to bother about, I made an effort not to become detached from the front and managed to hold on. We averaged 6-minute miles along Great Western Road and up Crow Road, and I finished in 40:19 which gave me a 6:01/mile average.

No comments: