Saturday 18 October 2008

Dunbartonshire XC Relays

Once again I allowed myself to be talked into running in the Dunbartonshire cross-country relays, this year at Posties Park in Dumbarton. It was quite windy and there had been rain on and off, but it stayed off for the duration of the race. I was first leg runner and broke away with the lead group of four, moving briefly into second after about half a mile but soon dropping back into third. After what was probably a mile (I hadn't managed to start my watch) I started to feel vaguely nauseous and was also suffering from heavy legs after Thursday, but the laps were short enough that it wasn't going to make too much difference. I finished third in 12:32, 47 seconds behind the leader and 7 seconds behind second place, on a course which was somewhere between 3.75 and 4K. I might have been a second or two faster with spikes instead of trail shoes. We gained a place on each of the second and third legs, and our anchor leg runner held onto the lead which meant we retained our title. My leg was the fifth fastest of the day and the second fastest for Garscube.

No comments: