Saturday 15 December 2007

Short recovery and gym

Another slow 5K in the morning with Natasha. I felt OK at that pace but putting in a proper effort at tomorrow's Christmas Handicap is probably out of the question, and although not turning up at all is quite appealing, I might as well take part wearing a Santa costume which is now more or less obligatory as if you don't wear one, you start off stratch. So there's a time-based handicap - with a turkey at stake - and you have to wear a Santa costume or you'll trail in behind everybody else and get last pick of the presents. I remember when this was quite a serious race, even if it was usually decided by an over-generous handicap, and a couple of folk usually turned up in fancy dress for a laugh, but now that social aspects have overtaken sporting ones, there's really no point to it. It's not even for the benefit of spectators. The route runs almost entirely through residential streets in Westerton and nobody is watching.

In the afternoon I went to the gym for 35 minutes or so, again staying away from anything which might have strained my legs. This time I did some proper reps on the different machines which I can try to extend or repeat with heavier weights in future weeks.

No comments: