Tuesday 11 March 2008

Fartlek

Did nothing at all on Monday other than some stretching to try and sort out the knee problem. It was still sore at lunchtime and much better by the evening but I gave it another 24 hours just to be on the safe side. Under normal circumstances I might have gone to the gym, but when I popped my head round the door after football last Wednesday it had looked exactly the same. I may casually enquire tomorrow about the projected reopening date as it was only supposed to be closed for two weeks.

I made it to Tuesday night training on time for once although still half-expected to drop out of the scheduled fartlek session early if the injury resurfaced. The group was much broader than normal and several of the faster runners were absent. We ran a 5.5-mile route around Knightswood and Jordanhill at a leisurely pace. I took the first couple of fast sections comparatively easy and still felt absolutely fine, so I pushed a lot harder on the rest. This is actually quite a useful session as I can practise my blast-and-hang middle distance technique without risking anything.

2 comments:

Marco Consani said...

eeek... Blast and hang? Sounds dodgy Stephen...:-)

Stephen Mulrine said...

That was how somebody else described the general principle. In 800m terms I would run the first lap in 62 and try to hang on as long as I could. You may wish to try this technique on the WHW - at least if it doesn't seem to be working you have several hours to recover. ;)