Thursday 30 July 2009

7.3 miles steady

Thought I would be more or less OK for the club training session as I could drop off the pace if necessary. The route turned out to be, in effect, over 7 miles of hill reps: along Maxwell Avenue, up Pendicle Road, up Chesters Road, up Drymen Road and along Manse Road, then up Kilmardinny Avenue and back down Milngavie Road, Boclair Road and Rannoch Drive. After 2 miles, at the top of Pendicle, I was having some hamstring problems so I slowed right down and let the other two members of the fast pack disappear down the hill. I thought I would just head up Station Road and back to Garscube Estate but I felt a lot better after going downhill at the slower pace, so I stuck to the planned route. I caught up with the next fastest pack on Boclair Road, although they got away from me again when they sped up going down Rannoch Drive. My average pace was about 7:04/mile for the 7.33 miles. I thought I might be facing a couple more days off but after standing around for a bit, the half-mile warm-down went not too badly.

4 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Many, many cheeky wee hills :-)

Debs M-C said...

Ps: I got 7.5 miles. Did you miss out Kilmadinnay and cheat AGAIN?

Stephen Mulrine said...

Cheat, moi?! I absolutely went up Kilmardinny - it was a chance to make up some ground on the second pack although I lost it all again on the downhills. I blame GPS problems, mine just hasn't been right since I got back. I ran part of the same route twice at the weekend and the first mile was a good 70m long on Saturday but spot on on Sunday.

Debs M-C said...

Yikes that sounds like techie chat. Speak to Marco, he's yer man :-)