Saturday 4 July 2009

Parkrun 5K, 6.5 miles slow

In the morning I took part in the Glasgow Parkrun 5K in Pollok Park. I didn't really feel up to a race but knew I wouldn't have another one for a few weeks. I had heard it was quite a hilly course so thought I should make the most of the downhill start, although with no kilometre markers it was hard to judge my pace. I was in third place for most of the first lap, but at the start of the second lap we reached an unmarked fork in the path and had to shout back to the stewards at the previous junction, losing a few seconds in the process. Shortly after this I moved into second spot and stayed there until the end, with the leader mostly out of sight. My finishing time was 17:24 which was OK for the difficulty of the course. Afterwards I jogged about half a mile with Natasha to warm down.

In the afternoon I tried an easy route down Garscube Road, over the footbridge and along the canal to the Kelvin Walkway, which I followed all the way to Kelvinbridge. I was having trouble moving for the first couple of miles but gradually loosened up a bit. The route came out at 6.48 miles, although I was having a few GPS problems and it might actually be slightly shorter than that.

No comments: