Thursday 20 August 2009

6.7 miles steady

This week's club training session was advertised as an 8-mile run, which sounded OK. The route was a new one on otherwise familiar roads - up Milngavie Road, over Mosshead Road, down Drymen Road as far as Bearsden Cross, then up Thorn Road and down Chesters Road. Suffering from stiff and tired legs, I stayed with the fast pack for the first couple of miles before blowing up. I almost resorted to walking but after pressing on at a much slower pace I decided I would manage to complete the whole route after all. By the time I got to Bearsden Cross I couldn't see anyone in the distance and I ended up taking a wrong turn which eventually took me to a dead end in a small housing estate, with no obvious way to get down to Chesters Road, so I followed the road back down to Bearsden Station and ended up cutting the route short by 0.9 miles, missing out Station Road, Pendicle Road and Canniesburn Road. Finished 6.7 miles in 49:24 giving me a 7:22/mile average which was OK considering how much time I had wasted looking for a short cut out of the dead end.

2 comments:

Debs M-C said...

You cheating AGAIN? It was 7.5 miles :-)

Stephen Mulrine said...

Ben reckoned it was 7.6. I didn't cut it short deliberately!