Sunday 16 August 2009

Achilles Heel Bella 5K, 3.4 miles slow

After a couple of days' rest to try to ward off any injury problems, I attempted the Bellahouston 5K. Conditions were windy but dry. Within the first 200m my left hamstring tightened up and the rest of the race was a bit of a struggle. I still managed about 3:15 for the first kilometre but the second was outside 3:30. Between 3 and 4K I loosened up slightly and made up a few places, although I ended up having to sprint at the end to maintain 17th place, 2nd for Garscube, finishing in a fairly poor 17:35. On the positive side I am now unable to win the club's Summer League so I don't need to take part in any races for the foreseeable future and can concentrate on building up my weekly mileage. In the afternoon I limped round a 3.35-mile loop via Maryhill Road, Queen Margaret Drive, Great Western Road and Garscube Road. My hamstring is definitely slightly strained but didn't get any worse during the run and was decidedly better later on. Weekly total: 19 miles.

No comments: