Monday 5 October 2009

2.5 miles hard

Decided it was time for a new pair of shoes after retiring the Nimbus. Extensive research suggested the controversial Newton running shoes might be exactly the type of thing I had been after for years. The staff in Achilles Heel seemed to take a bit of convincing but I insisted I ran the 800m on the forefoot, and my biomechanics apparently checked out OK. The only pair in my size were the motion control shoes, which I would normally never have considered, but apparently that aspect of the shoe is relatively minimal, and they did feel OK on my feet. I was told to run for no more than 15 minutes first time out, and work up gradually from there.

In the evening I tried a short route from Bearsden Asda, over West Chapelton Avenue, down Drymen Road to Canniesburn Toll, and back up Milngavie Road. I set out at a fairly cautious pace but soon got into it. The pavement at the bottom of Drymen Road was in a pretty bad condition and I had to watch my footing, especially in the dark, but other than that it seemed to be going quite well so I ran a second lap. It was hard work but I felt a lot better than on Sunday and I would have been OK for at least another mile or so at that pace. Distance came out at 2.51 miles, time 15:15 for a 6:04/mile average. Splits: 6:14, 5:59, 3:00. Can't think when I ever had a sub-6 split in a solo training run of any distance (over a mile). No worse off afterwards in terms of the ongoing hip or hamstring problems. I expected sore calves, but nothing so far.

2 comments:

Ben Melby said...

i am intrigued by the shoe, i admit. i would definitely give them a try if they were a.) priced a bit lower, or b.) lasted longer than traditional trainers. might go down to ah and try them out anyway.

Stephen Mulrine said...

AH also had the Piranha (as modelled by Joe) and the Lunar Trainer at reduced prices. Don't forget to take your club membership card for a discount. (: