Saturday 3 October 2009

McAndrew relay

For once I was on the last leg for our Veterans team. I wasn't in racing condition by any means and would have preferred a longer distance where lack of speed wouldn't have mattered so much, but my only real concern was a toenail problem from the marathon. It seemed OK while warming up so I ended up forgetting all about it. Competition was stiff and we were already out of contention for the Veterans' prize by the time I set off. It had been howling a gale all day and the wind on Anniesland Road was a real problem. Despite feeling in places as if I was hardly moving at all, I made it to the mile mark in 5:46 and expected to close down the runner from Clydesdale in front of me, but he stayed pretty much the same distance ahead all the way along Danes Drive, and by the time we got to the dip on Southbrae Drive I had given up any hope of catching him. I finished the 3.26 miles in 19:01 which is well down on previous attempts, partly accounted for by the effort expended in battling the wind early on. On a positive note, I managed to run inside 6-minute miles (5:50/mile average) without any injury problems, and it was the second fastest time for Garscube on the day. Splits: 5:46, 5:47, 6:00, 1:27.

No comments: