Thursday 10 February 2011

8.4 miles hard

I got stuck in traffic on the way to the club out-and-back session and thought I had missed the start so set off in pursuit up to the top gate and down Bearsden Road, making quite good time for the first mile. I managed to improve my pace along Great Western Road and began to wonder why I hadn't managed to overtake anybody by the time I got to the bridge over the canal. Deciding the schedule had been changed at the last minute, I turned back at the flyover, only to encounter the fast pack running towards me a few minutes later, so I joined up with them and we made it almost to the gates of the distillery before their 25 minutes were up. It turned out everybody had been on the warm-up trail when I had arrived. On the way back I had fallen a few yards off the pace but suddenly felt a lot better and pushed ahead on my own after Blairdardie, not being concerned about taking the same amount of time to run back (as we were supposed to) because I had already turned round three times, and also not conserving my efforts for Saturday's club cross-country race as some of the fast pack were. Joe and Gavyn caught up with me as we got back to Garscube Estate. Distance came out at 8.36 miles, time 53:08 for a decent 6:21/mile average for a comparatively long run, HR 164. Might be able to put in a reasonable showing on Thursday evenings if this keeps up. The four slowest splits were for the miles which included the climb up to the top gate or where I turned around. Ran a 0.5-mile warm-down afterwards.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 6:28 (150), 6:20 (160), 6:22 (161), 6:32 (159), 6:35 (162), 6:15 (169), 6:04 (174), 6:24 (177), 6:02 (173)
HR zones: 0%, 1.5%, 32.1%, 66.4%, 0%

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is one on the way back Mr M ?

Stephen Mulrine said...

Certainly feeling a lot more optimistic after Thursday. I'll start increasing the mileage again and see how it goes.

Unknown said...

Glad ti hear mate as it would be good to have you race fit come the 6 stage