Sunday 21 August 2011

Achilles Heel Bella 5K, 3.4 miles easy

I felt slightly nauseous before the race and thought it would either disappear when I started or I might end up having to drop out. This year I left the Garmin at home so I could run according to how I felt, and my plan was to set out fast and try to hang on. My main goal was to set a decent 5K time ahead of the relays, and I wore the Asics Hyperspeed 4 which I thought would be fine for the shorter distance. I did indeed feel a lot better after the race started and got to the 1K marker in 3:07, moving into 5th place shortly afterwards. The fast pace became less comfortable running into the wind towards the 2K marker, where I think I was around 6:28, and I soon lost a place and felt myself slowing as I battled the wind and then headed up a hill.

I reached 3K at 9:58, and after heading downhill and turning onto Mosspark Boulevard I could see there was a reasonable gap back to 7th. I thought I might be in with a chance of the Vets prize, and probably concentrated more on maintaining the gap rather than getting into a race for 5th place. Picked it up slightly in the finishing straight when I saw the clock ticking towards 16:30, and finished in 16:34 (although I made it 16:33) for a 5:20/mile average and apparently my fastest 5K since 2003, just edging out a gun time of 16:35 from the 2008 JogScotland 5K. As it turned out, I had indeed won the Vets prize.

Afterwards I ran a hilly 1.02-mile loop in Bellahouston Park to warm down. If the 5K had been in the morning as usual I might have run a longer distance in the afternoon, but after I got home I went out for the usual loop of Shakespeare Street and Napiershall Street, which this time came out at 3.37 miles in 25:45, average pace 7:39/mile, HR 142.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 8:05 (135), 7:39 (142), 7:16 (147), 7:32 (149)
HR zones: 2.3%, 30.2%, 67.4%, 0%, 0%
Weekly total: 28 miles

No comments: