Saturday 29 October 2011

Allan Scally relay

I was placed on the 3rd leg for the Vets' team which was also the de facto A team as turnout was somewhat down. It was damp and heavy rain was forecast, but I went with the Asics Hyperspeed 4. I set off with a couple of figures to pursue in the distance and possibly went out too fast. The road was wet and the porous soles of my shoes let in enough water that I ended up squelching the last couple of miles. In the end I made up 3 or 4 places (not sure as the results are fairly mangled) despite suffering a mild stitch in the last mile due to lack of race fitness, finishing in 27:41, a reasonable 16 seconds down on last year and narrowly the fastest time for Garscube on the day. We won the prize for 1st Vets' team but our final position is unknown. Average pace for 4.84 miles was 5:43/mile.

No comments: