Sunday 11 May 2008

3.2 miles moderate

As a recovery run I had another go at calibrating the SportBand. The trick was to find the exact distance of a nearby route. I discovered Gmaps Pedometer which told me what I thought was 3.25 miles (and had been reported by the SportBand as 3.00) was actually more like 3.4. I tried it on Tuesday's 3K course (3K indeed) and my usual 7-mile route (6.93 miles) which convinced me of its accuracy, so I mapped out a simple 3.21-mile route for an afternoon run. I should probably have done it some other time as my hamstrings were still quite sore from the race, and my pace was all over the place, but I finished in exactly 20 minutes and the SportBand reported something like 2.7 miles. After calibrating the device and deleting the erroneous run from the Nike+ web site (it had automatically been uploaded), I went out again for a walk of about 700m round the block to carry out the recommended walking calibration. I'll see if that improves matters.

No comments: