Tuesday 6 May 2008

3K Junior/Senior team race

My primary goal for this race was to finish inside 10 minutes if possible, so I planned to run 3:15 per kilometre. Natasha had also been persuaded to take part with remarkably little difficulty. The course consisted of loops within the Science Park with only one awkward hairpin turn at the furthest point. Inevitably, a load of Juniors pushed to the front at the start and ran out of steam within the first 100m, but I managed to dodge them and moved into the lead when three of the faster Juniors took a slight wrong turn. I pulled away and made it to the 1K point in 3:15 as hoped although it was getting quite tough and I knew my pace would start to slip. My legs started getting heavy in the second half of the race. I didn't see any 2K marker and at the hairpin turn I had almost been caught. At the two-way section of the course there were a few near misses as some of the oncoming runners strayed over to the right. This may have helped me stay in the lead for a bit longer but I was finally overtaken at the bridge about 400m before the finish and was unable to give chase. Time was 10:08 which I suppose isn't too bad after not having tapered for the race, although it's marginally slower than my 3K split in the Dunky Wright 5K. Update: my official time was given as 10:04 (not sure how, maybe the finishing line wasn't where I thought) and Natasha's as 16:25.

No comments: