Thursday 15 May 2008

3.4 miles recovery, 5.5 miles hard

I had another go at calibrating the SportBand before breakfast on the same 3.4 mile route. I discovered straight away that I had left it on kilometres by mistake and you can't change the units without plugging it into a PC, but the default calibration reported the distance as 4.8km which is stunningly consistent. Time was a bit slower than usual at 23:46. I'd stretched my calves a bit the day before and the hamstring was a lot better.

In the evening I went out with the club for a run described as 5/6 miles. There was a small "fast pack" and the pace was a bit brisker than usual for the first couple of miles down the Kelvin Walkway to the Botanic Gardens. Comparing the distance on the SportBand with somebody's GPS unit suggested I was losing about 100m per mile - different shoes and a faster pace might have been making a difference. After three miles I fell off the pace and felt too sluggish to have any prospect of catching back up. Towards the end I made up a couple of seconds and finished about half a minute back, third out of four, in 34:34 for a distance reported by GPS as 5.5 miles (but recorded by the SportBand as 8.25km). I felt this wasn't too bad considering I'd managed three morning sessions so far this week. Decided against recalibrating the SportBand for now - I'll see what it makes of 3.4 miles tomorrow morning.

No comments: