Thursday 31 July 2008

10K moderate, 6 miles tempo

I thought of having the morning off in case the previous night's race had strained anything, but did eventually drag myself out with the thought that I could easily cut the session short if need be. Along the canal the air seemed to be very dry, even though there was some light rain, and I was ready to give up at several points as I felt quite tired and my stride faltered a couple of times. I was concerned about running out of energy completely and being late back home, so I thought I could just come straight back up Maryhill Road, but at the halfway point I was somehow a few seconds up on my previous attempt so persevered. I reached the main entrance to the Botanic Gardens exactly on 30 minutes and as I climbed the hill at the top of Queen Margaret Drive it was clear that I was going to beat 40 minutes again. My finishing time was 38:50, 6:14 per mile.

The club session in the evening was 6 miles around Bearsden. Numbers were slightly down so the two fastest packs had been combined and they set off just as I was getting out of the car, so it took me the first half mile or so to catch up. The pace was very steady (just outside 7-minute miles) until we reached Mosshead Road about halfway round, where there was a small breakaway. I tagged along behind the front three until we climbed the hill up Boclair Road, where I got to the top first, then built up speed down Rannoch Drive and kept it going all the way back to the Science Park, mainly to stay far enough ahead that I wouldn't be dragged into a sprint finish. Time was 40:44, distance almost exactly 6 miles.

No comments: