Wednesday 9 July 2008

Co-operative jogscotland 5K challenge

I had a day off completely on Tuesday and felt a lot better by the time of the race. Normally I would shy away from anything with "jog" in the name but the event was part of the club Summer League. A 6.30pm start meant I had to eat an energy bar at around half past four and go straight to Glasgow Green from work.

My plan was to try to run an ambitious 3:15 per kilometre and hang on as long as I could, but I went through the 1K marker in 3:25. I was still quite far up the field and feeling fine so I decided the marker must be slightly out, and I think I reached 2K at something like 6:45 which wasn't much better. Some of the runners in front of me started to slow down after 3K and I made up a place here and there. Time at 4K was 13:30, and I sprinted down the finishing straight to pass one runner and hold another off, crossing the line in 16:35 by my watch, 16:33 chip time - second Garscube finisher and 19th overall. It seems highly unlikely that I ran the last kilometre in 3 minutes, or that I was speeding up as the race went on, so I think the markers weren't quite right after all. My time was 29 seconds outside my 5K PB from early 2003, but probably also my fastest road 5K since then.

No comments: