Tuesday 29 July 2008

10K moderate

Finally got up early enough to tackle a 10K route which was different from the one I had originally planned. It was the same as my new 4.8-mile route as far as Maryhill Road, then turning onto Garrioch Road, down to Great Western Road as far as the Botanic Gardens, back up Queen Margaret Drive and home via Maryhill Road and Garscube Road. I picked up some speed along the canal and reached the halfway point in just over 20 minutes, which was fine for the 41-minute pace I was expecting to run. By the time I got to the hill at the bottom of Queen Margaret Drive I seemed to have made up some time as sub-40 looked possible, and after struggling up the hill I still had a reasonable chance as the remaining part of the route was mostly downhill. In the end I was comfortably inside 40 minutes at 39:32, 6:20 per mile. Needless to say, sore quads all the way round.

No comments: