Saturday 12 September 2009

20.4 miles moderate

I had planned to run the same Newton Mearns route but decided to run to Paisley and back instead, expecting it to be about 10 miles going out via Kelvingrove Park, Yorkhill, Bell's Bridge and along Paisley Road West. This time I managed not to injure myself on Kelvin Way. It was warmer than I would have liked and there was also a bit of a headwind to contend with, but after 6 miles or so I had settled into a comfortable pace. Paisley arrived a lot sooner than I had expected and I had only run 8 miles by the time I reached the loop around the abbey, with an average pace at this point of 7:18/mile. I think the 10 miles I remember from a few years back must have been along the cyclepath.

Heading back to Glasgow, and no longer running into the wind, I dropped below 7-minute miles without any trouble and had pushed my average down to 7:09 by the time I reached the 14-mile mark in Govan, although I was slowed again by the wind as I ran along the Clyde and then lost some more time on the footbridge over the Expressway, so that was as fast as it was going to get. By now I was also a bit dehydrated on account of the heat, so I stopped at Radnor Street to get a drink and took a while to get moving again. On reaching Maryhill Road I was a few miles short of the planned 20 so headed up the hill to add on my Shakespeare Street route, which wasn't going to be enough on its own, so I continued all the way down Great Western Road and home via Garscube Road. After St George's Cross, Run.GPS reported that the battery was very weak, and my phone started making sad little bleeps, but it just managed to hold out and no more. Distance was 20.42 miles, time 2:27:32 for a 7:13/mile average.

No comments: