Tuesday 27 March 2012

2x2.5 miles moderate, 5K hard

Ran to work in a new running-to-work PB of 16:23, average pace 6:40/mile, and back home in 16:30, average pace 6:42/mile. The club session in the evening was a 5K timed run. I wasn't originally planning to take it too seriously with a race at the weekend, but we weren't going to have our strongest possible team out so I decided I would see how I felt on the night and took along the Asics Hyperspeed, targetting a comfortable sub-18 finish, although my feet were still feeling beaten up after Sunday. After a 0.59-mile warm-up, the run started behind the pavilion and was basically a single lap of the Nigel Barge route with an anticlockwise finish around the warm-up trail. I made the most of the downhill section at the start and was well clear of the field by the time I had to stop and open the top gate. The second mile seemed slower although turned out to be faster on account of less climbing, and as I headed towards the finish I mustered a sprint of sorts as I saw I had a chance of finishing inside 17 minutes. Time was 16:56, exactly a minute faster than my previous attempt a year before. Distance on the Garmin came out at 3.09 miles for a 5:29/mile average. Afterwards we ran a 0.96-mile warm-down.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 5:35 (164), 5:27 (172), 5:30 (175)
HR zones: 0.6%, 1.0%, 5.5%, 89.3%, 3.6%

No comments: