Saturday 17 March 2012

Dunky Wright 5K, 3.4 miles easy

After some reasonable performance in training I was fairly confident of running a quick 5K. Felt slightly unwell as I arrived at the Playdrome but it wore off as I went to register. It was dry enough for me to wear the Asics Hyperspeed 4. Early pace seemed much too fast and I went reached the first kilometre marker in 3:05, right behind a large pack of runners. They seemed to ease off slightly and I went past on the outside, leaving me behind Russell Whittington. I went through 2K in 6:21 and found the going tough over the next kilometre, reaching 3K in 9:41 without gaining or losing any places as we headed towards Duntocher Road. Heading along the canal towards the finish, I gradually closed down a couple of runners in front of me and overtook them in the last half mile or so. I didn't seem to have much of a sprint finish but was aware of fast finishers behind me and picked it up over the last hundred metres to hold my position. Finished in 20th place overall, 2nd Vet, in a 9-year PB of 16:21, two seconds ahead of Claire Gibson who had outsprinted me last year. My average pace was 5:15/mile, time was 22 seconds up on the same race last year.

Afterwards I went on a warm-down along the canal towards Drumchapel, and on the way back I spotted Lindsay on the other side and headed across the bridge to join him and extend the warm-down, making it 2.95 miles in total.

Later on I went out for an easy loop of Shakespeare Street and Napiershall Street, wearing the Skechers Resistance Runners. 3.38 miles in 25:49, average pace 7:39/mile, HR 145.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 7:57 (140), 7:41 (149), 7:24 (145), 7:25 (147)
HR zones: 2.3%, 11.4%, 86.3%, 0%, 0%

No comments: