Saturday 12 October 2013

Parkrun 5K

Took part in the inaugural Victoria Parkrun, aiming for sub-17 minutes, the point at which I would look into joining a club. Got off to a fast start with a small leading pack, possibly lured into it by a slightly downhill start. As we ran along the far side of the pond, at about 600m, I looked at my Garmin and saw my mile pace was inside 5 minutes, which took me a few seconds to process. I slowed down slightly but knew I had gone out much too fast. On the second lap I dropped into 4th place with no prospect of hanging on. The third was tougher still, and towards the end I felt like I was hardly moving, with sub-17 rapidly slipping away. The finish came after a long straight and a left turn, and arrived slightly quicker than I had been expecting otherwise I might have tried to pick up the pace a bit sooner. Finished in a frustrating 17:01, average pace 5:30/mile. Ran a 1.14-mile warm-down afterwards.

Pace splits: 5:14, 5:30, 5:43, 5:23

No comments: