Sunday 28 March 2010

5.8 miles hard

After Thursday I had been trying some ankle mobility exercises and shin taping, with varying degrees of success, and on Saturday afternoon I spent about an hour on the exercise bike at home. By Sunday afternoon I felt able to try another few miles, this time in the Newton Distance S. The outside of my right shin was playing up for the first few hundred metres but it soon settled down, leaving me with just a mild, dull pain on the inside of the shin. I wanted to get onto the canal as early as possible for softer underfoot conditions so I headed up Baird's Brae. As soon as I got onto the towpath I found myself battling a strong headwind. My splits looked quite reasonable but I seemed to be putting in a lot of effort, most likely due to the wind as well as loss of fitness. I turned round when I got to Lambhill Bridge and took a slightly shorter route home, coming off the canal at the fire station. Got back home in 36:16 for the 5.82 miles, average pace 6:14/mile, HR 172. I apparently managed to get my heart rate briefly into zone 5 when the wind seemed to be at its strongest on the canal, so the reading is most likely correct.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 6:39 (165), 6:06 (172), 6:04 (173), 6:16 (174), 6:16 (175), 5.59 (175)
HR zones: 0.6%, 0.3%, 0.6%, 98.1%, 0.5%
Weekly total: 10 miles

No comments: