Wednesday 31 March 2010

7 miles hard

I felt just about able to run again on Tuesday evening, which indicated a faster recovery from Sunday afternoon than I had expected, but I decided a single run on Wednesday would be safer than runs on Tuesday and Thursday and spent about half an hour on the exercise bike at home instead. I wasn't significantly better by Wednesday but thought I would tackle my usual 7-mile route via Garscube Estate. I went for the Newton Distance S again as they seem a bit safer than my other shoes at the moment, although I noticed the heels were a bit scuffed.

I hobbled through the first hundred metres or so before the pain started to wear off, leaving a familiar dull ache on the inside of my right shin. Got through the first mile in a reasonable 6:24, feeling decidedly nauseous. HR was also on the high side, but I felt OK otherwise and pressed on. I crossed the Kelvin comfortably inside 20 minutes which suggested a route PB was on the cards, but this seemed like a bad idea so I tried to ease off a bit instead. Finally started to feel a bit better near the 5-mile mark, and my average mile pace was still hovering around 6:20 so it looked like I would manage sub-45 for the route for the first time in ages, in spite of the constant dull pain which made me feel like I was limping. I had some good luck with the traffic in the last mile and got back home in 43:59 for the 6.95 miles, average pace 6:19/mile, HR 172. This turned out to be only about 20 seconds outside my route PB. Also set a new maximum HR of 183 although I didn't feel like I'd been pushing myself excessively. Lower leg tightened up soon afterwards.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 6:24 (155), 6:20 (171), 6:06 (174), 6:33 (174), 6:20 (172), 6:19 (177), 6:15 (178)
HR zones: 0.6%, 1.1%, 4.8%, 89.9%, 3.5%

No comments: