Saturday 30 October 2010

Allan Scally relay

I wasn't feeling in racing condition by any means, but the club wasn't particularly well represented so I thought there would be nothing to lose by taking part. The weather was ideal and I volunteered for the second leg, after Joe. I wore the adiZero Mana. We were in 9th place when I took over and although I felt better than I had expected, I was overtaken after about two minutes by runners from Glasgow University and Corstorphine. I anticipated losing more places but it was a further 6 minutes before a Dundee Hawkhill runner passed me. With no mile markers it was hard to tell how I was running, and I felt quite slow, especially with the others disappearing into the distance, but I did seem to be gaining on another runner from Glasgow University and moved back into 11th place about halfway round. I finished in 27:25 which was 49 seconds better than last year and the second fastest time for Garscube on the day. Average pace for 4.81 miles was 5:42/mile (or 5:40/mile for the official distance of 4.84 miles), so not too bad a racing performance. The team was 12th overall. As this was the final relay of the season, I achieved my goal of maintaining my A team place (when we didn't have a comparable Vets' team).

No comments: