Saturday 2 October 2010

McAndrew relay

Just like last year, I was on the last leg for our Veterans team. Conditions were damp and slightly windy. I decided to give the Newton Motus a try, to see if they worked out better than the adiZero Mana. By the time my leg rolled around we were about a minute behind the two leading vets teams, and a few seconds ahead of the A team. I tried to set off fast but wasn't sure exactly how well I was running as I had deliberately left the Garmin at home. Heading along Anniesland Road, just after Southbrae Drive, there was a pedestrian with the world's largest backpack blocking most of the pavement, apparently oblivious to the race in progress. I tried to attract his attention but eventually decided I could squeeze past him on the right, just as he finally noticed there was somebody behind him and moved to the right, with the result that I crashed right into him. It only cost me a couple of seconds and I was still inside 5:30 at the mile mark, although I only checked my watch after I had already crossed the railway bridge round the corner.

By this point I was gaining on the veteran from Ronhill Cambuslang but the leading Calderglen Harrier was out of sight. Although I was starting to flag a bit by now, I was also overtaking some third leg runners. I finally moved into second place among the Veterans teams on Southbrae Avenue just before the dip, and I finished in 18:08, 53 seconds up on 2009 but 17 seconds down on 2008, which was a fairly predictable but disappointing outcome, albeit the third fastest leg for Garscube on the day. I think I am still short of basic speed since the marathon. 3.25 miles in 18:08, average pace 5:35/mile. Some left hip pain later on but much less than the previous week.

No comments: