Thursday 5 November 2009

5.5 miles moderate

I tried some assorted hamstring stretches on Wednesday night, and by Thursday morning the tightness on the outside had been replaced by a new pain on the inside, although it did seem like the kind of injury I could run through, so at the last minute I decided to go to training after all, prepared to drop out anywhere within the first mile. In any case I was planning to take it fairly easy ahead of Saturday's race. The training session started off a bit earlier than usual to accommodate a presentation later on, and the packs were condensed so the fast pack was quite a bit larger than usual. The route was a simple loop of Maryhill Road, Queen Margaret Drive and Great Western Road. A few of us started to break away after a couple of miles. As the pace started to increase I was pleased enough that I was able to keep up and decided I didn't really care that much about the race. The fourth mile, along Great Western Road, came in just inside 6 minutes, and Joe started to get away as we headed towards Anniesland station. Finished the 5.49 miles in 36:33 for a 6:39/mile average. Pace splits: 7:53, 6:58, 6:26, 5:58, 6:23, 5:55.

No comments: