Saturday 7 November 2009

Glasgow University 5 Mile Road Race, 3.4 miles easy

After a bit more stretching I felt able to take part in the race after all, and although I had originally planned to wear my Newtons I opted for the lighter Lunar Racers. On arriving at Garscube Estate I jogged up to the top gate with Ben to see if the organisers had managed to open it, which they hadn't. At this point I was having some doubts about participating at all, on point of principle, but I eventually decided that at least I had some warning to get a fast enough start. Third place for Garscube looked within reach and the age-based sealed handicap might work in my favour for once. I started fast and as luck would have it I was neatly between the leading and trailing packs when we got to the gate, which meant I only had to slow down slightly and was probably delayed for no more than a couple of seconds. Didn't feel too great on the first lap, but I resisted the temptation to bail out when I passed the finish line the first time around. The second lap was even tougher, probably due to Thursday night's efforts, although I did make up a single place about halfway round. After struggling up Dalsholm Road for the last time I noticed a few runners not too far behind, but I held onto my position until the end. Finished in 28:40, 23 seconds down from last year where I had hoped to beat 28 this year, but this wasn't too bad. The distance came out at only 4.92 miles which gives me a 5:50/mile average. Pace splits: 5:40, 5:54, 5:58, 5:49, 5:50.

In the afternoon I decided to get a few more miles in and went out for my usual West End route, 3.35 miles in 24:53 for a 7:25/mile average. Pace splits: 7:45, 7:20, 7:13, 7:16.

No comments: