Saturday 27 November 2010

Dunbartonshire XC Championships

I had finally decided to take part as there was a reasonable chance of a team prize and I was determined to exorcise the memory of last year's disaster. I was also quite looking forward to racing in the snow and felt like I was in decent shape. This year I went for trail shoes as I thought the spikes had been partly to blame for my trouble with the steep embankment. As we ran around the football pitch on the first lap I noticed that the ground was frozen underneath the snow and fairly uneven. Without sure footing I seemed to be having to work quite a bit harder. The course had been shortened by removing the section I had struggled with last year, but there was still a long, steep climb where I was almost reduced to walking pace. On the second lap I was overtaken here several times in quick succession. As I started to get the hang of the conditions later in the lap, I made up some ground and eventually managed to win a couple of places back. Finished 20th overall and 3rd for Garscube in 33:14 for what was probably around 5.25 miles, 6:20/mile average. We were second team.

Weekly total: 19 miles

No comments: