Saturday 6 November 2010

Glasgow University 5 Mile Road Race

Didn't feel like taking part at all and decided to base my decision on whether the top gate had been opened. For once, it had. There were also mats laid out at the start and finish for chip timing, giving the whole event a very professional feel. I should probably have had more of a warm-up than the jog from the car park up to the gate and back and didn't feel very fast when the race started, although on Temple Road I finally got moving and started overtaking a few people, in the process moving up a place into third for Garscube. I lost some ground and a few places going downhill on Dawsholm Road, and as we reached Maryhill Road I was overtaken for a while by Marco. I was even at risk of dropping into fifth at the start of the second lap, but on the climb up to the top gate I managed to move clear of the small pack we were running with and set about trying to whittle down the gap to Gavyn in second. Somebody who had stopped at the end of Temple Road dropped back into the race as Gavyn passed and ran alongside him all the way to Maryhill Road, so I lost any advantage I may have had and didn't make up much ground before the finish. Crossed the line in 28:28, 12 seconds up on last year, third for Garscube, 23rd overall and apparently third M40. Average pace was 5:42/mile if the distance was accurate. Felt like I should have done better but I may also be over-raced.

No comments: