Thursday 19 May 2011

Polaroid Helensburgh 10K

Shortly after waking up I suffered a spasm in the upper back which was almost certainly due to pre-race stress. It got gradually better over the course of the day and didn't seem likely to affect my ability to run, but it wasn't until a few minutes before the start of the race that I began to relax. I had the goal of finishing inside 35 minutes and intended to run 3:25/km and see how I got on, using only the markers to keep an eye on my pace. The first kilometre marker was reached in 3:21, and I was soon joined by a couple of clubmates, although after getting to 3K in about 10:10 I began to pull away. After making up a few places, I went through 5K in 17:11 and then struggled against the wind from the seafront for part of the next kilometre, but at the next few markers I still had about 20 seconds in hand. I had to deal with a headwind again inside the last kilometre but crossed the line in a chip time of 34:41, my first sub-35 10K since 2003. I was 3rd Vet in the West District 10K championship, 4th Vet overall, and second counter for the Garscube men's team which was 3rd behind two Shettleston teams.

6.22 miles in 34:41, average pace 5:35/mile

No comments: