Wednesday 29 June 2011

800m

Drove to Linwood for the 800m in the Open Graded which also doubled as day 2 of the club track championships. It turned out that I was the only Garscube entrant in the race, and nobody had turned up for the 5000m or the 200m (which wasn't actually on the timetable). I was placed in the second heat with some fast-looking kids, and sure enough, I got off to a slower start than everybody else and was adrift in last place at 200m. As we battled a headwind in the home straight I made up a couple of places before reaching the bell in a reasonable 64 seconds. On the back straight I had tired arms but was still in touch with the runners in front of me, and although I suddenly felt out of energy coming into the home straight, I managed to pick it up again and outkick a girl wearing a Scotland vest to finish 5th in a slightly disappointing 2:15. Jogged a 1.9-mile loop of Brediland Road and Bridge of Weir Road to warm down.

No comments: