Thursday 2 June 2011

Polaroid Dumbarton 10K

The weather took a sudden turn for the better in the afternoon and it had got very warm by the start of the race. I was about a second down on my 3:25 pace goal at the 1K mark but picked it up a bit after that and found myself sitting just behind a group of runners from Bellahouston and Greenock Glenpark. The pace felt as if it might be too fast, but as Dumbarton is traditionally the fastest race in the series, I wasn't too worried. After passing the runners from Greenock I went through 5K in 16:55, which was PB pace and also a reasonable 5K time in its own right. I found the going tougher between 6K and 7K and was passed by Euan Geddes, and soon afterwards the two Greenock runners. My margin of error for a sub-35 minute finish was diminishing rapidly but after 8K I began to make up some ground. There was a minor collision with about 600m to go when one of the Glenpark Harriers tried to go straight on at a left turn, just as I was trying to pass him on the outside, but I didn't lose any time and still managed to go past, although his team-mate managed a stronger finish. My chip time was 34:46, and I was 4th Vet and 13th overall. We took second team prize behind Shettleston.

6.22 miles in 34:46, average pace 5:35/mile

No comments: