Sunday 11 November 2012

4K Cross Country Championships

I hadn't taken part in this event before but had decided I didn't mind shorter cross-country races, and might even have an outside chance of a Vets' prize of some sort with many of my rivals taking part in the Masters' International in Belfast or in the Jimmy Irvine 10K the day before. The two-lap course was flat and not particularly heavy, apart from one stretch alongside Mosspark Boulevard, so I went with the spikes. Got off to what seemed like a fast start but still found myself well down the field, although I picked up a few places when other runners started to tire worse than I did. On the second lap I avoided the heaviest mud by running along a little embankment, which was tricky as it was on an angle, but it worked out OK. Wore my new Garmin as it's almost as small and light as an ordinary watch, and it's not as obvious from a quick glance if I'm slowing down so I don't get demoralised. Finished the 2.53 miles in 14:36, average pace 5:46/mile. I was first Garscube finisher but an anonymous 74th overall, and 7th Master.

Pace splits: 5:34, 5:50, 6:02
Weekly total: 36 miles

No comments: