Saturday 3 November 2012

Allan Scally relay

For once I was on the anchor leg for our Vets' team, again the de facto A team due to low numbers. Went with the adiPure Gazelle. I tried to work our who our rivals were but by the time my leg rolled around there didn't seem to be any other Vets close behind or in front, although I did have a couple of runners to chase about 15 seconds ahead. I made up one place on the climb up Mount Vernon Avenue from the start and another just after we turned at the bottom of the hill, and then had nobody within sight for ages. Had to sidestep a car coming out of a showroom on Hamilton Road but the roads were otherwise quiet enough that I could usually take the racing line. In the last couple of miles I occasionally caught sight of a couple of yellow vests in the distance, and along Carrick Drive I overhauled a runner from Calderglen who turned out to be on the third leg. Finished in 27:16 for a PB for the new course and the fastest time for Garscube on the day. Average pace for 4.84 miles was 5:38/mile. I had apparently jumped the gun slightly (not sure how, although I did recall starting when our third leg runner arrived rather than when I was told to) and it turned out later that rather than call me back, they had just added a second to my time. We were the fourth non-University team and won the Vets' prize by nearly 12 minutes.

No comments: