Tuesday 29 June 2010

2.5 miles easy, 6 miles tempo

Ran the Queen Margaret Drive route before breakfast in 19:09 for a 7:41/mile average for the 2.49 miles, HR 131. The Kalenji Eliofeet seem to be fine for this type of thing.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 8:09 (125), 7:24 (133), 7:21 (139)
HR zones: 5.0%, 86.2%, 8.9%, 0%, 0%

The club training session in the evening was a fartlek so I thought I would give it a go. Turnout was fairly poor. I didn't arrive in time to hear the route but became suspicious as we headed along the new path towards Dawsholm Road. When it was confirmed that we were supposed to run along the Kelvin Walkway, which to my mind has too uneven a surface and too many pedestrians, dogs and cyclists for a fartlek session, I bailed out and ran up Dawsholm Road to Maryhill Road. I picked up the pace a bit with little prospect of ending up with a decent average after a slow first half-mile. My alternative route took me down Garrioch Road, up Shakespeare Street, back down Queen Margaret Drive, along Great Western Road to Anniesland Cross and back into Garscube Estate through the top gate. I finished at the pavilion with a total of 5.98 miles, time 39:05 for a decent 6:32/mile average, HR 154. Some of the mile splits were my fastest wearing the Vomeros.

Pace splits (ave. HR): 8:00 (132), 6:23 (151), 6:06 (156), 6:14 (161), 6:18 (164), 6:10 (167)
HR zones: 2.1%, 11.6%, 46.0%, 42.0%, 0%

2 comments:

Ben Melby said...

Kalenji, huh? Had never heard of them until now. Expected to find them as some high-tech expensive shoe, but astounded to see that they are probably the least expensive trainer on the market for running! Does your lightweight model seem very durable, any good for 10 mile threshold runs, for instance?

Stephen Mulrine said...

I don't think they have enough support for me to use them for anything more than a few miles once in a while. If I didn't need the support I'd certainly give them a try for longer runs although I don't know how well the plastic sole would hold up over a period of time.