Wednesday 23 June 2010

3.2 miles slow, 6.5 miles steady

Ran the seafront route with Natasha before breakfast, finishing the 3.18 miles in 26:48, average pace 8:25/mile.

Pace splits: 8:31, 8:16, 8:28, 8:29

In the afternoon I tried a longer version of the inland loop, continuing along Route de Saint-Jean to the roundabout at the end, which added another Clevedenesque hill, and heading towards town. When I got to the roundabout, there was an extra slip road which hadn't been on my map. After stopping for a minute to figure out where I was, I decided I must have reached the next roundabout down the road and went straight across instead of turning left. This actually took me onto the Chemin de Saint-Maymes which seemed to go on for ages and was taking me round in a large circle, so it could have been worse. It was also pretty flat. The sea was in the distance once the trees cleared so I still thought I was going the right way. I got back to a main road eventually, turning left as I had remembered, and I soon passed some sports pitches which made me suspicious as they seemed to be on the wrong side of the road. After a few hundred yards I ended up back at the original roundabout.

Rather than risk getting lost again I headed back up the Route de Saint-Jean, down Boulevard Pierre Delmas and all the way down the hill to cut the route as short as possible after some unplanned extra miles. There was still time to pick the wrong road from a choice of two and head up Route de la Badine, but I recognised a familiar hill in the distance and turned onto Rue Pierre Loti, which took me back down to a street I recognised as being near the hotel. The whole thing came out at 6.53 miles, time 45:36 for a 6:59/mile average.

Pace splits: 7:33, 7:05, 6:57, 6:33, 7:15, 6:45, 6:35

No comments: